Thursday, July 30, 2009

I respect these voices (although I don't always agree)

Perusing some of the edublogger posts on Google Reader, I came across a link to Jay Mathews Class Struggle blog on the Washington Post. I've read his stuff sporadically before but am planning to make him a regular addition to my reading list from now on. He had a column a couple of weeks ago that I missed but it's worth linking to. Jay muses on a new book by Terry Moe and John Chubb about technology and education. Money quote:
Because of the rise of technology, Moe and Chubb say, our future schools will be more customized to students, more effective, more beneficial to teachers, less costly, more autonomous, more competitive, more accountable, better at serving needy constituencies, better at promoting social equity and better at doing what works. Whew. Sounds good. But are they sure? No.
The book addresses the proliferation of virtual schools and the way that they can democratize access to resources and AP classes that have for so long been out of reach for so many public school students. Jay, as always, is cautiously open-minded. I think I might check the book out during our August recess!

No comments:

Post a Comment