Thursday, July 30, 2009

I want to reflect on my teaching practice

Teaching is hard. Okay, so that's not the most insightful reflection but it's a pretty good representation of how I'm feeling right now. For six long weeks, we've learned about literacy (academic, content, critical and reading), pedagogy, cognitive process dimensions, knowledge dimensions, comprehension strategies, curriculum alignment, records of practice, higher order thinking, etc. So much information without much in the way of practical application can lead one to wonder, "what's it all for?" But I think that there's a method to the madness. If I think back to where I was before the program began, and what I know now, I am in a much better position to venture into Ann Arbor Pioneer in September. Yes, I know that you can read all the books in the world and you won't really learn anything until you actually get in the classroom. It's kind of like learning another language. Four years in a Spanish classroom did not prepare me to actually speak Spanish in a meaningful way. But my brother lived in Mexico for two years and became fluent. You have to immerse yourself completely to really learn.

Today's leadership presentation was a prime example. I'm not thrilled with how everything turned out. As a group we discussed how important it was to leave room for discussion and what did we do? Leave little room for discussion! I think that teachers can get so bogged down in the content, and this incessant need to get to everything on their list, that they can really lose the audience in the process. I know that I talked too much and didn't listen enough. That's my biggest challenge, clearly. Like Lisa Simpson, I suffer from knowitalism ("that's not even a word!") and I really need to work on letting go and allowing other voices into my hemisphere. Just as we wanted the class to learn from us, we needed to learn from the class and unfortunately, that didn't happen. But I'm trying to look at the positive. If we can learn from our mistakes and assess our strengths and weaknesses, doesn't that mean that we are making progress as teachers and mentors? My best teachers were the ones that listened to me and respected my opinions. I want to provide that to my students.

It's all a journey, huh?

3 comments:

  1. Stella
    This is a very practical and timely post for me to read. Walking the "talk" is very difficult for many teachers (including myself). Jeff and I are constantly asking ourselves if we are "practicing what we are preaching." It is much easier to give a lecture on a topic than to model (eg...my lecture on digital footprints, I did a lot more talking then showing HOW I do this in my networked world). Your post reminds me of the many times (already in 4 classes) that I have not lived up to my ideal expectation. I believe one of the best "checks" I have are the blogs, tweets...etc from the MACers. I learn a lot about what I have not done well or need to do better to improve the teaching for the next class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop beating yourself up about the presentation. You did great, and I owe you one for presenting my part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one thing to take away from this is the idea that we, as teachers, should always evaluate, critique, and learn from what we are doing in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete